December 11, 2020
Dear Parents and Guardians,
In consideration of the wellness of all students and staff, Monday, December 21st will now be an eLearning Day, with a required Remote element. Students will be required to log on with their teacher at 8:30am. For elementary this is their classroom teacher and for middle and high school students their first block teacher. Following this 45-minute session with their teachers, students will be dismissed to complete their eLearning assignments, with teachers being available until 3:00pm for guidance.
The rationale behind this change in schedule is the following:
- The high school is already scheduled for an eLearning Day in order to socially distance and conduct required final exams for students in College and AP courses. Students enrolled in the following courses will take their exams on campus as scheduled below:
- Holiday gatherings normally begin the weekend before Christmas. Using the eLearning Day will minimize the spread of any virus, which students or staff may inadvertently be exposed to over the weekend.
- The ISHD and the GCHS expect the spread of the virus to increase over the Christmas holiday. While our intended schedule for the return of school on January 4th is Pre K-8 on campus with 9-12 on their hybrid schedule, this could change to full virtual IF required by the health department. The eLearning Day would give us the opportunity to do a capacity test at the 8:30am session to assure all students K-12 can login at the same time.
- Having the eLearning Day will assure that all students take home their Chromebooks over break, just in case we must move to remote learning after the holidays.
- This will provide our custodial staff one additional day to deep clean and prepare the facilities for anticipated return after break.
AP Physics 7:30am-9:00am
College Algebra 9:10am-10:40am
AP Government 10:50am-12:20pm
AP US History 12:30pm-1:40pm
AP English Literature 1:50pm-3:20pm
Free school lunches will be available for pick up on Monday, December 21st between 11:00am and 12:00 noon. To order a lunch please call 812-847-6024 ext. 4006
Over the break it is imperative that students charge their Chromebooks in order to conserve the battery life. If your child has lost their charger, it is their responsibility to replace it. We still have free hotspots available for any family. Hotspots can be reserved by calling 812-847-6024 ext. 4500. I encourage you to secure a hotspot now so that if we have to go to Remote Learning your children will have internet access.
As stated earlier, our intention is to return to school on January 4th with Pre K-8th grade on campus and 9th through 12th grade on the Red/Blue hybrid schedule. I will be meeting with the Greene County superintendents and the Greene County Health Department on Wednesday, December 30th to make informed decisions on our return. You will receive a communication from me confirming our plans on that evening.
As always, thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult times. I appreciate all of the sacrifices you are making in your family units to mitigate the spread of this deadly virus. With a vaccine on the forefront, there is a promise of moving forward to our new normal later this summer. For now, we must all remain vigilant.